Quarantine is the term you might have been acquainted with because of the current epidemic. But , Exchange Server users know the word quarantine because of the inaccessibility of mailboxes. Quarantine is the security function that prevents multiple threads running from one mailbox that connects to Exchange Server. To prevent mailbox from running out of resources it is necessary that Exchange Server puts the mailbox in a quarantine state. Exchange Server puts the mailbox in a quarantine status and blocks access by the client.
What is the reason Exchange place mailboxes in a quarantined state?
Lot of client applications, like Outlook that use the MAPI connection, create multiple threads to Exchange Server and uses multiple resources. If these threads are stopped because of some reason, other threads begin to consume greater CPU power and place the pressure to Exchange Server to handle more threads with a high degree of. To protect Exchange Server from any downtime and to protect mailbox that is associated with account is placed into a quarantine state for a short time.
The user will be able to identify the condition of the quarantine mailbox by the following signs:
- A minimum of three threads are frozen for more than 2 hours.
- Minimum five threads remain kept frozen for more than one minute.
- Outlook Web Access (OWA) shows the error message that says ‘Something occurred. It is not able to retrieve the information. The mailbox is unable to send or receive any emails‘.
- Other users trying to email your account will be greeted with an error message that says ‘Your mail did not arrive because the mailbox for the recipient is not in quarantine.’
How can I resolve Mailbox Quarantine issue in Exchange Server 2019/2016/2013/2010?
The most recent version of Exchange Server since 2010 can benefit from the following procedure we will discuss.
- Verify if your mailbox has been placed in a quarantine condition: If you experiencing similar issues, which resemble the symptoms of mailbox quarantine, you should first look it up by using the below command.
Get-MailboxStatistics • Select DisplayName. IsQuarantined Format-Table AutoSize
You will need to go through the steps below.
- Check the total duration of the quarantine: Go to the Registry Keys and look for the MailboxQuarantineDurationInSeconds Key that will show the total amount of seconds that the mailbox will remain in quarantine. You can then choose whether to wait for the time to expire or to remove the mailbox from the quarantine condition.
- Run the Disable-MailboxQuarantine cmdlet: The Disable-MailboxQuarantine cmdlet can be used in the on-premises Exchange Server and it uses the multiple attributes to run the method smartly. Here’s an illustration of how to use it.
Disable-MailboxQuarantine -Identity -Database
Related Post: How do I set the OST File Size Limit in Outlook?
The cmdlet removes the mailbox from its quarantine state , and then it can then mount the mailbox on Exchange Server. The most important features of the cmdlet can be found below;
- Database: Database parameter specifies what the names of databases that contains the mailbox affected. You can specify the name, distinguished name or the GUID.
- IncludeAllDatabases: This parameter gives the option of including all databases in which the mailboxes are in quarantine. It is not necessary to provide any information here.
- IncludeAllMailboxes: This IncludeAllMailboxes parameter allows you to include all quarantined mailboxes within the database. This parameter does not require the user to enter any data here.
- IncludePassive: In the IncludePassive option, you is used to cover all mailboxes that are inactive.
Therefore, in the event of an Exchange Server related issue where the data cannot be accessed it is recommended to seek the aid of an expert Exchange Server Recovery software which can access mailboxes in corrupt database and recover their data and storing it in the new file Live Exchange account. This tool not only repair Corrupt Exchange Database files, it will also convert Exchange Server Mailbox to many other email platform such as EML, MBOX, EMLX, HTML and many more.
The Regain Exchange Recovery tool available with free version. Any user can test the capability and efficiency of the software without paying any amount. The interface of software is very easy, no technical skill is required to access this tool. It makes all the recovery process easy and safe. Whenever you face any issue, you can contact our technical support team at anytime.